Data Protection Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice was last updated on the: 19 January 2022
This Privacy Notice sets out how the Isle of Man Yacht Club Limited (hereinafter to be referred to as ( the Yacht Club", we", us" or our") uses and protects any information that you give us either in person, over phone, e-mail or when you access or use our website (the Website").
We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified, either in person, over the phone, by e-mail or when using this Website, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
We may change this Privacy Notice from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page regularly to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
|Personal Data||Means any information that can identify, directly or indirectly, a living individual.|
|Data Controller||Means the natural or legal person, public authority, agency or other body which, alone or jointly with others, determines the purposes and means of the processing of Personal Data. For the purpose of this Privacy Notice, Isle of Man Yacht Club Limited is the Data Controller.|
|Processing||Means any operation or set of operations which is performed on Personal Data or on sets of Personal Data.|
What We Collect:
We may collect and process any of the following information about you:
- Your name;
- Your age;
- Your Gender;
- Your Health Details (for example: food allergies or relevant conditions affecting Yacht Club activities) where applicable;
- Your contact information including your residential and email address;
- Your preferences and/or interests in relation to the Yacht Club;
- Your membership and/or contact login credentials (username and password);
- Photographs of you if you choose to attend any of our sailing or social events; and/or
- Your IP address used at the time of access.
If you have provided us with the Personal Data of another person, by continuing to use our Website or remain engaged with the Yacht Club in any way, you hereby confirm that they consent to the processing of their Personal Data and that you have informed them of our identity as a Data Controller and provided them with a copy of this Privacy Notice.
How we Collect your Personal Information:
We will generally collect your Personal Data from our Website or through the Website portal. We can also collect your personal information from any communications you send to us (such as letters or e-mails) and any information given over the phone or in person.
If you attend any of our training courses, sailing events and/or social events there is a chance that your photo may be taken for general reporting and promotional purposes. If you do not want your photo take, please speak to the relevant photographer on the day.
What we do with the Information:
We require your Personal Data to understand your needs and interests in relation to the Yacht Club and to provide you with relevant information about the Yacht Club's activities when requested and/or relevant. In particular we may use your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To communicate with you about membership, the Yacht Club facilities and activities, and/or the hiring of the Yacht Club building;
- Invoicing and collecting any sums due to the Yacht Club;
- Our internal record keeping;
- To improve our sailing and club activities;
- To periodically send informative or promotional emails about sailing events, courses, social events, or any other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided (if you have consented to such materials being provided);
- To customise our Website according to your interests; and/or
- To provide you with access to our online membership or contact portal (if available).
Under laws which are designed to protect your Personal Data, we need to have what is a called a 'lawful basis' or 'ground' each time we use, share or otherwise process your Personal Data.
We may rely on one or more of the following lawful basis':
- If you have agreed (provided your consent) to us processing your Personal Data for the particular purpose;
- For the purpose of fulfilling a contract (such as membership, or if you have hired the Yacht Club for a particular purpose); and/or
- Our legitimate interest in the effective delivery of information and any Yacht Club activities you choose to participate or engage in.
Protecting Your Personal Data:
Your confidence and privacy are important to us and we are committed to ensuring that your information is kept safe and secure. We protect your information by:
- Offering you a secure transmission method to send us personal information through the Website portal;
- Only share it with Yacht Club members, Isle of Man Yacht Club Limited board members, and/or third parties who need to access it for the purposes listed above;
- Give you the opportunity to opt out of any photographs; and
- Implementing suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
You can protect your data by:
- Enabling security features on your browser; and
- Monitoring the URL of the site you are visiting (secure URLs begin with https:// rather than the normal http://) along with the security symbol of the site your browser (e.g. a broken or incomplete key in your browser) to help identify when you are communicating with a secure server.
Your Rights in relation to Your Personal Data:
You have rights protected by law in relation to your Personal Data. Those rights will not necessarily apply in all cases or to all the Personal Data which is processed by us.
You have the right to request that we:
- Provide you with access to any Personal Data which we hold about you (please refer to 'Request of Personal Information' below);
- Update any of your Personal Data which is out of date or incorrect;
- Delete any Personal Data which we hold about you, subject to any legal or practical applications which allow certain information to be kept for a defined period of time (for example, any contractual information will customarily be kept for 6 years);
- Restrict the way that we process your Personal Data to the degree that it still allows us to fulfil the purpose for which we hold it;
- Consider any valid objections which you have to our use of your Personal Data; and/or
- Provide some of your Personal Data to a third-party provider of services (data portability) at your request.
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your Personal Data in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the Website, you can choose to call instead;
- If you have previously agreed to us using your Personal Data for any promotional or marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at the below email address; and/or
- If you would like a copy of the information held on you, please write to the Data Protection Officer at:
The Isle of Man Limited,
Port St Mary,
Isle of Man,
Should you require an update or amendment to your Personal Data, please contact us by email using the details below and we shall endeavour to amend your records as soon as is practical.
Request of Personal Information:
You are entitled to request access the information held about you. Your right to access the Personal Data which we hold about you can be exercised in accordance with the Isle of Man's Data Protection Act 2018 (as amended). In order to assist us in processing your request, please can you write to us at the address provided above or contact us at: Info@IOMYC.com.
Sharing of Data:
Whilst we usually do not need to disclose your Personal Data outside of the Yacht Club, we may occasionally disclose your Personal Data to third parties in the following circumstances:
- If we need assistance from our suppliers where your Personal Data will be accessible (for example our IT portal provider, accountants or banks etc.)
- If we merge or are taken over by another yacht club or similar association;
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your Personal Data in order to comply with any legal or regulatory obligation;
- In order to enforce or apply the terms of this Privacy Notice or any other agreements;
- To protect the rights, property or safety of us, our members or others; and/or
- Where we have received your permission for us to do so.
Opting in and out of promotional communications:
We do not usually send out blanket marketing or promotional communications, however, we may sometimes supply event or activity information if you are a member or if you have requested us to do so. Upon agreeing to this Privacy Notice and opting into our communications you agree for us to send you these types of materials. This includes both online communications and other communications such as e-mail. If at any time you for us to cease sending these types of communications (to opt-out) you can do so by e-mailing the Data Protection Officer whose contact details are provided above.
Accuracy of Personal Data:
We do our best to keep your data accurate and up to date, to the extent that you provide us with the information we need to do so. If your data changes (for example, if you have a new email address), then you are responsible for notifying us of those changes.
If you are a member of the Yacht Club and no longer want to be contacted by us, please contact us to update or delete your data. If you contact us , we may remove or update your information within a reasonable time, insofar as it is no longer necessary in line with the above.
International transfers of Personal Data:
Your Personal Data is held on the Isle of Man or with our IT service providers. We do not transfer your Personal Data internationally. If the situation ever arises where such a transfer is necessary, we shall seek your consent prior to any transfer.
We do not and will not knowingly collect information from any unsupervised child under the age of thirteen. If you are under the age of thirteen, you may not register as a member or contact of the Yacht Club or use any of the our facilities unless you have the consent of, and are supervised by, a parent or guardian.
We shall retain your Personal Data for as long as we reasonably require it for membership or business purposes. In determining data retention periods, we take into consideration local laws, contractual obligations, and the expectations and requirements of our members, the users of our facilities, and our website visitors. When we no longer need the Personal Data, we securely delete or destroy it.
If you are not satisfied with the above information or have a concern about the way we process your Personal Data you have the right to make a complaint. We hope that you will raise any complaints or concerns with us in the first instance, but if not, or if you are not satisfied with our initial response, you can contact our supervisory authority for data protection related matters using the contact details below:
The supervisory authority for Isle of Man Yacht Club Limited is the Isle of Man Information Commissioner's Officer who can be contacted via the following link: https://www.inforights.im
Governing Law & Jurisdiction
This Privacy Notice is governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Isle of Man. By accessing and using the Website you agree that disputes arising in connection with this Privacy Notice shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Isle of Man Courts of Justice.
Last updated 18:37 on 6 June 2022